2.24.2011





















A Good Day

Today I was home with the exception of a semi-annual dentist check up. Those are usually pretty quick thankfully.

I spent the day cooking for the first time since my allergy diagnoses. It's another challenge: bring it on. Baking is has the potential to be difficult but I'm researching flours and determining which ones I want to mix. There are loads of gluten free (GF) items avaliable but most have corn and all have man-made ingredients I can't pronounce. We don't eat those kinds of things - they might come from corn and they can't be good for a body.

So I'll skip the cleaning and go right to the good stuff. Meatballs. Yummy. I made a batch that should last us a few weeks and they turned out well. Hopefully they'll go great in this evenings pasta dish.

Chicken stock. I've been simmering my chicken parts, veggies, herbs & spice since about noon (Minus about an hour for the dental visit). It smells heavenly and I can't wait to make split pea soup with the broth tomorrow. I'm trying to re-load my freezer with items we can both eat. David has worked his way through a lot of it and I'm going to need back up meals when I start work full time in about 2 weeks.

Granola. I'm working on walnut-blueberry. I did butter, honey, cinnamon and a little nutmeg. Pretty simple but it'll be delish.

I dug up a recipe that a friend mentioned that calls for 16oz of oatmeal toasted. Then you grind 1/2 to make a flour and make cookies with it. I'm excited to try it but I think it'll have to wait until tomorrow. My oven is occupied and parts of my mixer and food processor still need to be washed. I ran the dishwasher once but it'll go again before the days' end.

And of course the days not complete until I've had a romp and a snuggle with my two favorite fur babies. Currently they are in time outs for being too rowdy in the house. Oh the pouting that happens when they are separated.

No comments: