7.20.2012

Apartment Gardening

Seedlings
front porch plants

Back porch
lettuce
I can't go long with out growing food. I like the dirt under my nails and the satisfaction of knowing where my food came from and how it was grown. I miss my large productive garden in Texas, but within a week of arriving in OR I purchased a bag of high quality, organic soil and planted my organic seeds for cilantro, lettuce (butter crunch and romaine), cucumbers, tomatoes (Roma and beef steak), onions and celery. It's pretty much a salad garden. I went from one bag of seedlings to two planters a bag of lettuce and a bunch of other miscellaneous planting containers. David and I have been scouring the local Home Depot for their bargain wood. We can find untreated pine for $.50 a piece. David puts them together and we have large planters for less than $2.

tomato
We are on the 3rd floor and our apartment has only one entry per floor so we have a front porch, a back porch with a storage room and the landing between the 2nd floor apartment and ours as no one else uses this space. I'm quickly filling them all up....


 Everything is growing so well. Each time I transplant something I expect plant deaths but thus far everything just thrives! I can't wait until we are picking cucumber especially. The organic ones here are quite expensive.

No comments: