9.10.2012

Casseroles

Casseroles make me gag.

Not side dish casseroles, such as green bean casserole or sweet potato casserole but one dish meal casseroles. I have yet to taste one, or make one, that was something other than all mushy and single flavored. Casseroles are supposed to be comfort food, I think. Although I'm not sure. Gagging isn't comforting, or comfortable. I keep trying exotic things like traditional shepherds pie which uses lamb rather than beef, but to no avail. And since I'm an adult and get to choose what I eat I'm done with casseroles.

Whole Foods blog did an entire post on them. Thinking about making one still makes me gag. Usually Whole Foods recipe ideas are mouth watering and inspiring.

Comfort food for me is a perfectly roasted chicken with gravy and mashed potatoes and some kind of steamed vegetable like carrots.

Home-made meatballs and spaghetti with lots of marinara and Parmesan cheese is also comfort food. Especially if there are green beans. Usually I serve that as a one dish meal. As in everything we eat on s'ketti night goes into a single bowl - green beans on top. Does that count as casserole? Yea, I didn't think so.

Growing up we'd beg mom to make mac'n'cheese with hot dogs in it. I understand now why we didn't get it much. It's gross. Kraft mac'n'cheese with that powdered cheese mix, and miscellaneous meat squished into a casing.

Funny, we still like macaroni and cheese but it's the home made kind.  Melting butter, and adding rice or quinoa flour. Milk. Freshly grated cheese. Salt, pepper. Melts down into this velvety deliciousness that is fabulous on macaroni or a split baked potato.

Yum. I love food. I know we have food allergies. Some people pity us. Really, envy us. We are forced to eat high quality, delicious homemade food at every meal.

[homemade allergy free pizza with a quinoa crust, goat's milk mozzarella, browned onions, browned buffalo meat and olives (on 1/2 - I'm a texture girl, olives are gross but Hubs seems to like them)]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back, now.