1.07.2009

Adventures of Sam & Sunny's big owie

So. I've been fretting over the lack of one transcript. The college said they mailed it 12/12. Sam says it's not there. The college said they'd re-mail it. Sam said I can't register until it arrives. I was getting ready to take myself to Tyler, TX and pick it up myself. David said "gas is cheap, go get it." Today I finally got through and was told that I would be admitted to register for classes pending the arrival of that transcript. While if it doesn't show up I'll be blocked from taking classes I can at least take a few that start on Monday. *SIGH* I was beginning to think that I'd have to wait yet another long semester until I would be able attend classes.

The other big news in our world is that our puppy dog Sunshine managed to get herself a serious laceration yesterday afternoon while we were out romping with her friends. We were playing as usual with about 5 other pups in our normal location. She ran joyously into the water thinking she'd swim - completely normal, a nearly daily activity. Then she yelped. Also somewhat normal - for those of you that know our Sunny-pup she's a whiner. I told her to come show me what hurt. She trotted up and presented me with a bloody paw. Fabulous. I had my neighbor help me bind her leg with her leash above the wound to staunch the flow of blood then picked her 55 pounds up and started heading for home (we were 1/2 mile or so out). My neighbor ran ahead to get a car ready to take Sun to the vet. She was loosing a lot of blood so I clamped down on her leg with my fist. Scratch was being somewhat obnoxious with his sniffing and prancing and licking of Sunshine. I looked at him and wished he could carry Sunshine. My neighbor showed up with a young guy she found on the street and he helped carry Sun the last few yards. Sunny was getting sooooo heavy I didn't know what I was going to do. I was so thankful this guy was willing to carry my wet, bloody dog the rest of the way. We loaded up and hit the vets office. I had called David (who was on his way home) and asked that he meet me there because I was afraid we'd have to make some hard decisions and I didn't want to do it on my own. The vet said it was a good thing I'd staunched the flow of blood. Sun had lost a lot. The front of my body was soaked in it, Scratch had it all over his face and head and there were drops leaving a trail where I'd carried her. A puddle in the truck we'd rode in, you name it - with my clenching her leg in my fist and the leashed wrapped tight around it no less. The vet didn't ask much just got to working on her. David showed up quickly and we got an estimate of charges. It was much higher than I'd of ever invested in a dog, even a young healthy pup. I asked for a estimate of charges already incurred plus the price to euthanize. The vet re-worked the bill, donating most of his time and cutting everything else down to bare minimums. David and I were more comfortable with the second estimation and calculated only a small savings between putting Sun down and taking her home for the night after surgery.
I spent the night on the living room floor with the dogs. Sunny was still pretty critical last night, still being loopy from the anesthesia and all. This morning: normal bowel movement!!! Ok, maybe not the greatest news to most of you, but for us it ment she was doing a lot better. I had only given her a small amount of food last night and this morning she ate like a horse. Very healthy appetite indeed! We've spent the day laying in the sunshine (it's about 72 degrees here), getting our IV catheter (it was left in her good leg in the event that there was an emergency) and snuggling. Lots of snuggling.

For pictures see:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=71604&l=aaa6a&id=678116408

1 comment:

sarah said...

Rebecca, I think you're officially my hero.