9.18.2009

Smelly Dog

Tuesday evening I tried to put Sunny-girl to bed. She refused. Weird. So I stuck my head in her crate. *gag* It smelled TERRIBLE. (Normal people think this is normal - she's a dog. I typically wash the dogs bedding though, weekly. It's rare the bedding smells much because of the regular washing with added baking soda to the wash and vinegar to the rinse.)

Some how we must have missed a washing or something. She smelled terrible too. So I cleaned the crate and decided to deal with smelly dog the next day.

No doggie shampoo.

I found a website that said: mix 1 part clear antibacterial soap to 1 part white vinegar, mix well and wash dog. What the heck, anything would smell better than her nasty coat.

Surprisingly I LOVE the results. Today is Friday, and Sunny-girl is a dogs-dog. She will roll in anything dead, play in any amount of mud she can find, lay about in the yard where ever it's most messy (although she has standards, she does stay out of their waste - thank God) and so on. She still has no nasty odor. Despite rolling in something quite dead on our Wednesday evening walk. Her collar, on the other hand still stinks, despite soaking in solution.

After having such success I am looking into mixing laundry detergent now too. I purchased a huge bottle of it a few weeks ago while it was on sale and I had a coupon but when it's gone I'm seriously thinking about just mixing my own. So we'll see. The shampoo though - it'll be a huge money saver. A little goes a long way and it's really inexpensive to make.

(picture of Sunny coming up from a nice roll in the grass)

No comments: