2.18.2008

(A classic Scratch look)

We've had Scratch now for about 2 months. He's really coming out of his shell. He and Sunshine are the best of friends and love to pal around. We don't allow them to play roughly in the house but they love to wrestle! And argue over toys of course.



David's been sick. I'm pretty sure it's the flu. He's achy, has had a fever and whiny. I mean tired. = ) He called in sick today, I think the first time since we've been married (nearly three years now). Keeping up with him and the dogs is keeping me busy all day. His hacking and coughing wakes me at night. I went to WalGreens and bought some Vicks vapor rub. I have fond memories of my mother rubbing Vicks on my chest, back and under my nose to ease my breathing when I was young. He slept fairly well. I also picked up a Vicks medicinal syrup, for cold and flu symptoms. He seemed to sleep about 5 hours or so uninterrupted. He spent most of today in bed. I encouraged him to get up for a bit so that he wouldn't get all out of schedule. He made it to the couch. Poor guy.




(I've only just begun to work on this side of the house.)

I've been working on a yard project off and on for several weeks now. Whenever we bought the house the back yard had what was labled as a "French drain" around the house and small porch. My understanding of a French drain, however, would direct the excess water else where or lead to a storage conatiner (which I would like to do, collect water during the rainy season because in a few weeks here it's going to be hot and we are going to have to pay to water.). Anyway what was actually there was more for appearances. And not very dog friendly. Sunshine in particular likes to dig small holes in which to bury bones. It's not super desctructive, just annoying. All that rockery was perfect for her purposes. But the nosing around, even walking on the rocks would scatter them through out the grass. Also, with the huge pool in the center there's very little lawn. So I decided I would pull the rockery in a bit closer to the house and seed a bit more lawn. I got quite a bit of work done Saturday.

(This side of the porch and half way to the middle of the porch, lack only the grass. It's been far too wet to lay seed but I'm hoping tomorrow will be the third dry day in a row and I can lay the seed after work.)
I basically have been re-arraging the rockery and pulling it all in. Beneath it all I'm laying chicken wire. Sunshine and Scratch went out yesterday to investigate. They weren't sure about the chicken wire, but they got the point. It's a couple of inches below the rocks and soil. I also dug up about a foot of the grass to bury the wire under it as well. This way they can't burrow under it. The pups don't do much digging in the actual yard. Oh, and as a way to use some of the huge stones I am "extending" the sides of the porch with the huge patio blocks. It looks decent. Not my first choice probably but it does give us a bit more space on the patio out there.

No comments: