6.01.2009

Krazy Glue & Duct Tape

Our puppy Scratch was adopted from a little shelter in the sticks. It was suspected that he had been used as a starter dog for dog fights. You know - bait dog to get the fighters excited. He was terribly mistreated. When we brought him home he had a broken tooth in the front of his mouth that didn't seem to bother him much so we decided rather that knocking him out and pulling the tooth immediately we would watch it and see. Well over Memorial Day weekend that little tooth turned gray. *gag* So we scheduled for him to be drugged up and have that tooth removed. While we were paying for anesthesia we figured we would get the knot on his head removed as well. We were told it was "probably a benign fatty cyst" so there wasn't a hurry and have been ignoring that as well. On Wednesday morning I dropped Scratch off at the vet. I picked him up that evening minus one rotten tooth and one fatty cyst. It was basically, cosmetic surgery although we were told that it was a good call because they can turn cancerous. He was groggy and slower than normal on Thursday and extremely needy. I couldn't wee without him sitting there watching with big sad eyes. Everything was going fabulously Friday. By that evening he was perky enough to give Sunshine a great big whiff and attempt to mount her face. Wow. Steadily going down hill. On Saturday in anticipation of David coming home I started doing a good cleaning. Scratch wanted to go in the backyard and he had been doing well so I let him out. I was cleaning baseboards. I had a dust rag in hand and was crawling around the perimeter of the house wiping down our baseboards (yes, I know this is not normal but I do it regularly anyway). Sunshine thought this was fabulous fun. She was right on my tail end sniffing the perimeter and keeping pace. Every now and again head "butting" me. Literally. I finally tired of her antics and opened the door to let Scratch in and kick Sunny out.
"SCRATCH!!!" He had managed to rip open his incision. Including the internal stitches. "Sweet Jesus why does this ALWAYS happen when David is out of town?????" Attempted to ring every neighbor in my phone. Nothing. So I tried to keep the incision shut with everything from band aids to butterflies. Nothing. Got an Elizabethan collar from the neighbor. He hates it. My other neighbor arrived home from work 4-5 hours after our incident. Between myself, my neighbor and her boyfriend we were able to cleanse the wound with peroxide and betadine. We bandaged it with SuperGlue, Guaze and Duct Tape. What a handsome boy! David has decided we should wait and see how things go with him for a couple of days before taking him ot the vet. Just another adventure at the PsychoWard.

1 comment:

sarah said...

love the pun about "psycho-ward" HA!
even though it always seems to happen while David is gone, you always manage to take control and everything ends up fine...good job :)