4.09.2011

Becca's New Job - 03.14.2011

A hard decision to narrow the search to a ten mile radius from home was made and with it came much fewer options. I realized, however, that I didn't want to commute to the city every day. Also with our special dietary needs it's not practical for both of us to be driving for an hour each way every day...

While I'm still crazy about accounting, it's an employers market and there aren't any entry level accounting or finance jobs with in my limited search area. Even now that things are slowly picking up.

I applied for a Benefits Analysis position with a large, global company that is less than 7 miles from home in late November. I got a call back right away. They had specific questions about Excel. I was familiar with all the terms and requirements but not comfortable with them and thus said I was an intermediate Excel user, per their specs. Had I known that it'd be a three month delay from an offer to a start date I'd of felt much more comfortable saying I was an expert because I would have used those months to refresh all my skills and prepare myself for that position. Too bad for me. :( My recruiter (HR is now recruiting - what do you know?) Said she really thought I'd be a great fit for the company so she pushed my resume and information through to a manager friend of hers and thus I'm working more of a Customer Service position with clear expectations of moving forward and up with the company in a year to 18 months time. We're working with a very large client and it's exciting to be working full time again. I enjoy learning and several months of training will fulfill that void. There are two other accounting folks I went to school with in my group and we basically had the same story. Again, employers market and we are thankful to have jobs.

A month in and things are going well. I'm enjoying my coworkers and management team. I have a 10-15 minute commute and David and I are settling into a new rhythm and season of life. My company will pay for my Masters Degree so I've been looking into courses but we've decided we'll spend 6 months or so just adjusting to my being full time employed before we add a Masters Course to the week.

Now I get up start a load of laundry and trot around a block or three with the dogs then race home for breakfast and shower and out the door. Scratch has been choosing to stay in the house while we're gone and he's been very good. He HAS been on the sofa a few times when I get in but we're working on that. Sunshine prefers to be in the yard where she can chase her "yucks" all sorts of bugs and lizards. She's allowed out at 7am and she's more than ready despite having been for a run with David and a trot with me and Scratch. (While she doesn't bark much we don't want to run the risk of her out at 5am woofing and bothering neighbors.)

I've been making a whole chicken in the crock pot on Mondays. My gym days are MWF so David comes home to let Scratch out and finish dinner. Usually I make two dinners on Tuesdays so that on Wednesdays David just reheats something. I like to make broth on Monday nights and then make soup or stew on Tuesday nights for Wednesdays dinner. Fridays are fish night. David (when he's home) picks up fresh fish and grills for me.

He got to go to CA this week for several days. It was the first time in a while he's been on a trip overnight and I worried I wouldn't sleep well. I woke up every morning on his side of the bed as though I'd been looking for him in my sleep but I slept like a rock all three nights. (He didn't think it was fair since he didn't sleep well at all.) This weekend he's taking a course in down town. He'll be home in the evenings but gone all day today and most of tomorrow. So I had all the Saturday morning cleaning. We do like a clean house though. I missed having him mop the kitchen! I do the bamboo flooring and he usually does the kitchen.

So now that the house is clean and I'm ready for the day it's 2pm! How'd that happen? Guess I should go run errands.

No comments: