9.13.2012

Cucumbers to pickles

I picked few cucumbers over the last couple of days. We've been reading about pickle making quite a bit. Especially Hubs. He's been all into canning which is cool. I see homemade jelly in my future. He's already made pectin (from green apples he picked at my brothers!) so we just have to go berry picking.

He's at work but I figured I'd give it a go.

I found a recipe on-line. Adapted it and went to work. I like small batches in case it's gross. Throwing away food is one of the things I avoid at all cost. Good planning should mean one never throws away food, but that's another post.

I put a little metal rack in the pot to keep the glass jar from sitting directly on the pot while it boiled. I'm not sure if this was necessary or not but I didn't want to bust my jar.


While my canning jar boiled in my large pot,I sliced my little home-grown cucumbers, a clove of garlic, and a chunk of onion. 

 Into my small sauce pan went Apple Cider Vinegar. (Based on the smell, I think next time I'll use half ACV and half water but we'll see how the finished product tastes.) To the pot went finely sliced onion and garlic. Then dill, salt, ground pepper, turmeric, and red pepper flakes. This simmered on the stove while the canning jar boiled.
 Waiting a few minutes on the boiling jar...

 FINISHED PRODUCT. (Upside down so it seals, hopefully, again I have no idea if it's necessary.)


I guess we'll see in a week or so if they are any good.

No comments: